As you eat and drink each day, your dentures tend to get quite dirty. However, if you have the right cleaning techniques, it doesn’t matter how dirty your dentures get as long as you wash them each day. So, to help you properly clean your dentures, we recommend doing the following things:
· Rinse the denture after eating: After you eat any type of food, it’s important that you rinse your appliance with water. Rinsing the denture will wash away the loose particles that cling to it. However, please remember to be careful as you rinse it. If you drop the appliance, it could easily break.
· Clean your mouth: If you have a clean mouth, you will have a clean denture. So, when you take your appliance out at night, clean your remaining natural teeth with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. If you do not have natural teeth remaining, clean your gums, cheeks, tongue, and roof of the mouth with a soft toothbrush or a gauze pad.
· Brush your denture daily: Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and nonabrasive toothpaste to scrub your artificial teeth at least once a day. Brushing the denture will eliminate the harmful particles that constantly threaten your smile.
· Soak the denture: It’s vital that you keep your denture moist when it is out of your mouth. If you don’t, the appliance could warp. So, make sure you place your denture in a glass of water or mild cleaning solution overnight.
· Visit your dentist: Make sure you visit our office every six months for a routine dental cleaning. These appointments will allow us to professionally clean your appliance and completely wipe away the plaque and harmful bacteria that reside on the artificial teeth.
If you have any questions about these cleaning techniques, please feel free to call Country Club Dental today by dialing 530.677.4457. Dr. Sonny Afshar and our entire dental team are here to help you in any way possible, so please do not hesitate to give us a call if you need anything!